Earlier this week, North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory made the strongest statement yet on the illegal minors flooding into the state from the southern border crisis.
“As governor of North Carolina, I’m calling on the president and the leaders of Congress to cancel their vacation to solve this problem,” McCrory said at an afternoon news conference [on Tuesday].
“I encourage both leaders of Congress and the president to reach out to governors, to mayors, to sheriffs, to county health and school officials who are going to feel the impact of this very, very serious issue in all states,” McCrory said. “This is not the time to wait another two or three months.”
McCrory said he is unaware of any legal recourse to the relocation or to prevent further federal distribution of illegal immigrants to North Carolina, and his goal is to reunify the children with their families in their home countries.take our poll - story continues below
“The way the system is supposed to work is that these children should be returned home. Frankly, there should have been efforts in place long ago to ensure that this large wave of children should not have been allowed across the border,” McCrory said. “But that system is severely broken.”
The governor characterized the Obama administration’s response to the surge of illegal children as woefully inadequate, and said the situation has mushroomed beyond a border crisis.“They aren’t ready for this volume. They aren’t ready for the security background checks. They aren’t ready for the health care. They aren’t ready for the follow-up of immunizations. They aren’t ready for record keeping. Our educational systems aren’t ready,” and the defective approach is being repeated in all states now housing the illegals, McCrory said.
McCrory said he learned a week and a half ago from a letter from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that approximately 1,200 children had been placed in North Carolina.