PRESS RELEASETallahassee, Fla. – The Assisted Living Federation of America (ALFA) today released findings of a nationwide survey that reports an overwhelming majority of seniors in assisted living facilities across the U.S. feel safe in, and satisfied with, the communities in which they live. The survey of 500 seniors currently living in assisted living communities found that 93 percent of respondents feel satisfied with their community, including 68 percent who reported they feel “very satisfied.” The survey also found residents almost unanimously feel safe in their communities, with 99 percent of respondents reporting they feel safe.
“This new survey confirms what we’ve always known – assisted living residents are happy, active and lead high-quality lives in our communities,” said ALFA President and CEO, Richard P. Grimes. “The caregivers and staff in assisted living communities have dedicated their careers to providing a safe ‘home away from home’ for our residents, as well as the absolute highest level of care. Assisted living is absolutely the best, safest and most satisfying senior living option for seniors who cherish their independence but need some extra help. That’s something we’ve known for a long time, and it’s heartening to see that our residents think it too.”
The survey found widespread satisfaction for almost every aspect of resident life in their communities, including:
- 94 percent of assisted living residents said they are satisfied with their overall quality of life in their assisted living community;
- · 93 percent of assisted living residents said they are satisfied with the level of personal independence they enjoy in their community;
- · 93 percent of assisted living residents said they are satisfied with the level of personal attention paid to them by staff;
- · 90 percent of assisted living residents said they are satisfied with the overall quality of care they receive;
- · 87 percent of assisted living residents said the workers in their community are well trained and well qualified to do their job; and,
- · 86 percent of assisted living residents said the workers in their community “care about me as a person.”
By an 8 to1 margin, assisted living residents agree with the following statement: “Assisted living communities are an excellent choice for seniors who want to live active, independent lives, but may just need a little help now and then. Assisted living communities have a professional and caring staff that provides a safe ‘home away from home’ for residents. There are ample rules and regulations in place to ensure residents remain safe and are well taken care of. Residents living in assisted living communities enjoy a healthy and high quality of life.”
The survey of 500 residents living in assisted living communities was conducted on July 15-18, 2013, and has a quantified margin of error of +/- 4.38%. The survey was conducted jointly by Public Opinion Strategies and Frederick Polls.